- How long can I obtain my student ID card after paying the tuition fees? 2 to 3 weeks after the date you paid.
- What should I do if I can’t make the payment before deadline? Please download and fill out the DELAYED PAYMENT REQUEST FORM, collect all the required stamps and then submit to the Division of Registration.
- Can I use foreign currency to pay the tuition? No. You can only pay in NT dollars.
- Visa & ARC
- I would like to apply for / renew my ARC, what documents should I prepare? For ARC information, please visit our website. Campus life – ARC and Visa – ARC.
Where is the National Immigration Agency in Hsinchu? How can I get there?
The address of National Immigration Agency Hsinchu City Service Center: No.12, Sec. 3, Zhonghua Rd., North Dist., Hsinchu City 300.
Phone number: (03)524-3517
Cost Time Taxi 150~200 NT$ 15~20 mins City bus 15 NT$ 15~20 mins plus
25~30 mins walk
- Do I need to leave Taiwan if I were suspended or withdrew from school? You have to leave Taiwan within 14 days after submitting the suspension or withdrawal request form unless you hold an ARC with working or dependent staying purposes.
Do I need to leave Taiwan immediately after my graduation?
You have 3 options:
1. Leave Taiwan within 14 days after completing the leaving procedure.
2. Bring your degree certification to the office of immigration to apply for an ARC with 6-month job seeking purpose.
3. Bring your job offer letter or school admission letter to the National Immigration Agency and renew your ARC.
- Does NYCU apply ARCs for students? No, you have to apply for an ARC by yourself.
- Student Safety Insurance
- What type of receipts can be reimbursed with the student safety insurance? You will only be reimbursed for accidents with the student safety insurance. For further information, please visit the website of Division of Life Guidance.
- Is this insurance mandatory? Yes, it’s mandatory for every NYCU student.
- Alternative Medical Insurance
- What type of receipts can be reimbursed with the alternative medical insurance? You will only be reimbursed for illness. For further information, please visit our website: Campus Life – Insurance - Alternative Medical Insurance.
Is this insurance mandatory?
Yes. According to the regulation of Ministry of Education, every student in Taiwan should be covered by one medical insurance.
You can either purchase a medical insurance from NYCU or from your home country. However, the overseas insurance should be notarized by the Taiwan embassy.
- How much is the cost? How much is the maximum reimbursement? How to apply for the reimbursement? Please visit our website: Campus Life – Insurance - Alternative Medical Insurance.
- Can I provide my debit card instead of passbook copy while applying for the reimbursement? No, the passbook is a required document.
- Can I get the reimbursement by cash? Can I use my friend’s account as I don’t have one in Taiwan? No, you can use only your own account and the reimbursement will only be deposited into your account.
- National Health Insurance
- Is this insurance mandatory? Yes. According to the regulation of Ministry of Health and Welfare, it’s mandatory for every eligible student in Taiwan.
- When can I join N.H.I.? You will be eligible to join the insurance after you stay in Taiwan for 6 consecutive months.
- When can I get my N.H.I. card? When will my card be expired? It will take 1-2 weeks to process the card after your application is received. The expiration date is the same as your ARC.
- What should I do if I lose my N.H.I. card? Please come to the Division of Overseas Student Affairs of OIA and apply for a new one.
- Does NYCU help my family apply for the N.H.I? Yes, please contact Ms. Flora for apply.
- Can I change my dormitory after I moved in? Yes, please contact the staff of the Division of Housing Services, Ms. Guan (email@example.com ).
- Is any bedding (pillow, mattress, blanket…etc.) offered in the dormitory? No, students have to purchase by themselves.
What should I do if I don’t get a dormitory?
You will be put on the waiting list.
Please contact the staff of the Division of Housing Services, Ms. Guan (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
- Do I need to pay the dormitory fees during the winter vacation? You don’t have to pay the dormitory fees during the winter vacation if you stay in the dormitory for one year. However, you have to pay during the winter vacation if you only stay in the dormitory for one semester.
- Is Wi-Fi available in a room? No, only Ethernet is available in the room.
- Is there any access control in the dormitory building? Yes, you have to use your student ID card to enter the dormitory building at any time.
- Is hot water available for 24 hours? Yes, it is.
- Is there any kitchen in the dormitory? Yes, Graduate Dormitory 2 is equipped with a kitchen. Cooking in the room is prohibited.
- Where can I buy the electricity card to activate the air-con in the room? You can buy it at 7-11 or Family Mart on campus.
- Is there any laundry room in the dormitory? Yes, there’s a laundry room in each dormitory. It costs you NTD.10 to do the laundry.
- Is there any fridge in the dormitory? Yes, there are fridges placed in some dormitories for public use. For further information, please visit the website of the Division of Housing Services.
- How to apply for a work permit? Please visit our website: Campus life – Work permit.
- How many hours per week can I work? The maximum working hours per week is 20 hours during the semester. There’s no working-hour limit during the winter and summer vacation.
How long will a work permit be valid? What should I do if my work permit is expired?
The maximum validity for a work permit is 6 months.
(1) Fall semester: From the date you apply till next March 31.
(2) Spring semester: From the date you apply till next September 30.
Please apply for a new work permit before the expiration date.
How can I know the application status of my work permit?
Please visit the following website: Status check of work permit
Number of employee: Your ARC number
Submitting date: The estimated period of your mailing date.
- What should I do if I lose my work permit? Please come to the Division of Overseas Student Affairs for the detailed procedure.
- Can I start working before getting my work permit? No, you can’t start working before you are issued with a work permit; otherwise you will be fined for NTD.30000 to NTD.150000.
How to access the internet in the dormitory?
ID: Your student ID number
Password: You can obtain password via NYCU Portal.
How to access Wi-Fi on campus?
ID: Your student ID number
Password: You can obtain password via NYCU Portal.
- Is there any 24-hour restaurant on campus? Only convenient stores are open for 24 hours.
What should I do if I lose my student ID card?
Please visit the Division of Registration for refund if you deposit money in the card. If not, please visit Information and Technology Service Center to apply for a new card.
You have to pay NTD.200 for the new student ID card.
How can I get a mobile phone number provided by Taiwanese carriers?
Please open an account with a Taiwanese carrier at the airport with your passport when you arrived.
You will be asked to provide your ARC card and passport if you open your account elsewhere.
- How can I open a bank account? Please bring your ARC card, personal stamp, student ID card and NTD.100 to the post office. You can bring the document “Record of ID No. in the Republic of China”, issued by the National Immigration Agency if you don’t hold an ARC card.
- Is there any ATM on campus accepting foreign debit cards? There’re 2 ATMs accepting foreign cards in the Hi-Life convenient store and in the Student Activity Center. Sometimes the withdrawal might not be successful due to some technical malfunctions.
- Is there any bank near NYCU that provides currency exchange service? Please visit HSBC near the Hsinchu Science Park or the HSBC counter at National Tsing Hua University.
Is there any wholesale market near campus?
There’re 2 wholesale markets near NYCU.
RT MART: you can take the school bus to Boai Campus and walk from there.
A Mart: you can take the Hsinchu Science Park shuttle bus there.
Is there any clinic I can visit on campus?
Yes, you can visit the Division of Health Services on campus
Please visit their website to obtain the outpatient clinic schedule.