- National Health Insurance

A. Background and Regulation
According to the National Health Insurance Act, Students who have lived in Taiwan for at least 6 months with a valid Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) must enroll in National Health Insurance (NHI). Students must register for Alternative Medical insurance if they do not have NHI.
Requirements for NHI Registration:
A person who has, after receiving an ARC, stayed in Taiwan for six consecutive months (starting from the ARC issue date), or exited Taiwan only once, for fewer than 30 days, within a period amounting to six months after the number of days that they have been away from Taiwan is deducted.

B. Payment Details
The National Health Insurance (NHI) fee will be included in your tuition fee each semester. The fee is NTD 826 per month (following NHI regulations). The fee is payable from September to February (NT$4,956) for the first semester and from March to August (NT$4,956) for the second semester.
If you are an overseas Chinese student and come from an underprivileged family, you can apply for the Overseas Community Affairs Council (OCAC)’s subsidy with a low-income certificate issued by governmental or official units. OCAC subsidizes 50% of the National Health Insurance (NHI) fee.

C.  Transfer to the NYCU to apply for NHI
Situation1: New students who have lived in Taiwan for less than 6 months
International student medical insurance is required.
Situation2: New students who have lived in Taiwan for more than 6 months
Students should prepare the "Alien Residence Permit" and "2-inch photo". The Division of Overseas Student Affairs will assist you in enrolling in the National Health Insurance. You will be notified to pick up your NHI card.
Situation3: You have already applied for NHI in other institution, but want to transfer to NYCU
Please go to the original insured institution (e.g. language school, workplace, district/township office) for health insurance transfer and obtain a health insurance transfer form or certificate of transfer before coming to the Division of Overseas Student Affairs to apply for health insurance transfer.
Situation4: You are already insured at another institution and are not transferring to NYCU
Please inform the Division of Overseas Student Affairs and check your tuition fee at the beginning of each semester to avoid duplication of payments.

D. NHI Transferring Out from NYCU
Situation1: Leave of absence, withdrawal, or graduation:
Students who are under graduation/ suspension/ withdrawal/ expulsion, the Division of Overseas Student Affairs would carry out the Transfer-Out procedure. Students would have to participate in National Health Insurance by they own or employer if they are not leaving Taiwan. For school resumption students, please submit the application for resumption of schooling photocopy to the Division of Overseas Student Affairs after registration to apply for Transfer-In.
Situation2: Transferring to another university/institution/company:
Please visit the Division of Overseas Student Affairs in person to complete your NHI deregistration and refund -procedure.

*If you need to renew your NHI card due to loss or damage of the card, please visit and apply for card renewal at National Health Insurance Administration. The renewal fee is NTD 200.

Contact Person at NYCU Chiao Tung Campus:
Ms. Flora Chen Hsueh:

Contact Person at NYCU Yangming Campus(International Students):
Ms. Meggy Niu:

Contact Person at NYCU Yangming Campus(Overseas Chinese student):
Ms. Renee Lee: